The groundwork of Bangalore Medical College & Research Hospital (BMCRI) in 1955 witnessed its foundational keystone as a Private Medical College. BMCRI was established by Mysore Education Society. The college was subsequently entrusted to the Government of Mysore with the affiliation to Mysore University. The college became affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) in the year 1996.
Bangalore Medical College surges ahead with its recognition by the Medical Council of India (MCI) for 150 Undergraduate seats. The college also has 100 seats approved under 10A of MCI rules. The college has the successful allowance of 135 Postgraduate Master Degree seats & 71 Diploma seats. The college offers a wide array of MD / MS courses alongside MBBS. The college thrives on a Central Library with various noteworthy books. The college subscribes to about 120 journals (Foreign & Indian).
The hospitals attached to BMCRI are Victoria Hospital, Vani Vilas Women & Children’s Hospital, Minto Ophthalmic Hospital and Bowring & Lady Curzon Hospital. The college is actively involved in Community Health Services at the Urban Family Welfare Center, Siddiah Road and Primary Health Centers at Sondekoppa, KG Halli, Hesarghatta & Pavagada.